Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
You may want to look through the For Sale/Trade Forum here. I know CincyCichlids and OhioDave both frequently sell shrimp on here s0 you may want to send them a PM. Since they are both in Ohio, shipping to WVA should be fairly fast and minimize the stress on the shrimp.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hey Ombcat,

I've been out of town for the past three weeks. When I get back (later tonight) I will have a bunch of shrimp available for sale.

I will have the following:
Snowball
Yellow
Tiger
Blue Pearl
Crystal Red & Crystal Black
"Blue"

Please PM this weekend if you're interested in any of these. I don't have the prices yet because I have been away, but I promise I am more than fair. Oh yeah, I'm also striving for the best Customer Service than any other invertebrate seller around :).

Chris

·
Registered
156 Posts
In order from best to worst, I would recommend as sources of shrimp:

1. Local breeders. Check your local fish club/aquarium club if there is one nearby--if the club is of any significant size at all, I can all but guarantee you have shrimp keepers there. You might be able to pick up shrimp at club auctions for next-to-nothing (I've seen bags of 20+ Red Cherry shrimp go at auctions for $2 or $3), or you could simply talk to the breeders and work out a trip to come out and pick some up. The "local option" is the best because the shrimp are never subjected to the stress of shipping, you can talk to the person you are getting them from about what sorts of conditions the shrimp like, you can actually "eyeball" the shrimp before you buy them to be sure they are healthy, and it's likely the water source they are coming from will be pretty similar to yours, thus reducing another potential source of acclimation stress.

2. Members of shrimp forums. There are several popular forums for freshwater shrimp keepers; some allow "advertising" and some don't, but in all cases all you need to do is spend some time active on these forums and you'll learn who is breeding what sorts of shrimp--fire off a PM and see if they would be willing to sell you some. If you have to buy shrimp and have them shipped to you, this is the best of your options because (presuming you've gotten to know the seller through forum participation), you aren't buying from a complete stranger but someone with whom you have some familiarity.

3. Aquabid. If the first two options don't work out, Aquabid is (by far) your best source of auctions for all things aquarium-related.

4. Various invert websites. The quality of these varies a lot, so unless you do a lot of homework about a particular site, it is a less desireable option than the others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts