Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see. I have a 30 gallon tank. 13" high x 18" deep x 36" long. What is apparently known as a breeder tank (I don't really know if that's true) After seeing all these aquascapes on this site, I'm inspired. My tank is dry now. Haven't had it set up in years. I prefer under gravel filtration for no particular reason and fear a planted tank may not be successful?? I'm also worried about the fact that my aquarium is only 13" high.
I would welcome and love any input from anybody. I know my tank is not going to be any Takashi Amano prize winner but, I would dare to strive to be close lol.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply NowMed. Stupid ? for ya. What are the stickys lol? I see them on the threads but don't know what they are exactly

·
Registered
202 Posts
Get a canister filter. Under gravel filtration systems are not good for planted aquariums.

Nothing to fear with planted tanks.
If you have sufficient lighting, Co2, and fertilizer. There should be no problem in achieving your goals.

To start i recommend reading all you can on what planted tanks require
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/12/beginners-guide-to-planted-aquarium.html
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/01/taking-first-steps-towards-planted.html
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/04/substrates-for-planted-aquarium.html
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/11/10-items-planted-aquarium-keeper-cant.html

Then start planning your hardscape. Keep it simple. I noticed you mentioned Takashi Amano, he does nature style aquariums. So find some rocks and arrange them so it replicates a natural scene found in nature. Then choose your plants that will suite your needs in replicating this scene, keeping in mind how much lighting you have available to provide them.

Make sure you take your time picking your equipment, and learn all you can about different needs of the plants.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
If you go to the home page you will find different forums listed. If you click on a forum you will see a few different thread at the top labeled "sticky". These thread share general info that has been recognized as needed or good info. on a particular subject.

Go to the new to aquarium forum. You can click below...
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/new-planted-aquariums/

at the top you will see the sticky about how to start....

About your tank being 13". That's about how deep 10g tanks are. They are doable. You might need to think in terms of small leafed plants. You can do a nice scape with that. It'll kinda look like a 55g but shrunk! :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for the extremely valuable information. Truly a wealth of info at this stage of the game for me. Thanks again:D
Crap! Sorry dj2606. I ment to direct this reply to you. What a virgin lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the clarification texgal
If you go to the home page you will find different forums listed. If you click on a forum you will see a few different thread at the top labeled "sticky". These thread share general info that has been recognized as needed or good info. on a particular subject.
Go to the new to aquarium forum. You can click below...
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/new-planted-aquariums/

at the top you will see the sticky about how to start....

About your tank being 13". That's about how deep 10g tanks are. They are doable. You might need to think in terms of small leafed plants. You can do a nice scape with that. It'll kinda look like a 55g but shrunk! :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack. But my question seems to be in line with this topic. I have a 25 gallon tank that has plants and fishes. But now those fishes (swordtail & fancy guppy) are breeding like crazy. So I have to put them somewhere. I have an extra 6 gallon tank that I am now cycling. And sorry I never did a test on my tank. I know I should but what I have been doing is when I change/add water to my tank I use seachem prime and a ph buffer. Is this what everyone is doing or am I missing a step? From my understanding some people have more alkyline water they do something to fix the problem. Is that step needed?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack. But my question seems to be in line with this topic. I have a 25 gallon tank that has plants and fishes. But now those fishes (swordtail & fancy guppy) are breeding like crazy. So I have to put them somewhere. I have an extra 6 gallon tank that I am now cycling. And sorry I never did a test on my tank. I know I should but what I have been doing is when I change/add water to my tank I use seachem prime and a ph buffer. Is this what everyone is doing or am I missing a step? From my understanding some people have more alkyline water they do something to fix the problem. Is that step needed?
I'm not sure what you mean by using a ph buffer. Is your water way out of line? Most people use the water from the tap unless it extremely hard or acidic. Adding chemicals usually causes a yoyo affect which is much harder, even deadly sometimes, on your fish. It's best to just slowly acclimate the fish to your water and then you can do water changes with no issues. You do need to keep using the Prime as it is for chlorine and chloramines.

My pH is around 6 with the addition of CO2 and I do nothing to try to get it higher. Fish and plants are fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was checking out cannister filters at my local aquarium store. I'm wondering if there's a particular one that is better for both plants and fish. For example, the eheim or fluval etc. Are there inter-changable filter mediums that are more appropriate for the combination of fish and plants. For example; if I buy the eheim which comes with whatever filter mediums it comes with. Can, or should I purchase (seperately) another type of medium? Or, is there a combination of filters (2 filters) that works better. I see a lot of people are using at least 2 different filters
Get a canister filter. Under gravel filtration systems are not good for planted aquariums.
Nothing to fear with planted tanks.
If you have sufficient lighting, Co2, and fertilizer. There should be no problem in achieving your goals.

To start i recommend reading all you can on what planted tanks require
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/12/beginners-guide-to-planted-aquarium.html
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/01/taking-first-steps-towards-planted.html
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/04/substrates-for-planted-aquarium.html
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/11/10-items-planted-aquarium-keeper-cant.html

Then start planning your hardscape. Keep it simple. I noticed you mentioned Takashi Amano, he does nature style aquariums. So find some rocks and arrange them so it replicates a natural scene found in nature. Then choose your plants that will suite your needs in replicating this scene, keeping in mind how much lighting you have available to provide them.

Make sure you take your time picking your equipment, and learn all you can about different needs of the plants.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I have always used the media that comes with the filter. I figure they have engineered it to work best that way.

I do know that some people take out the sponges in the Rena's. They say it clogs to fast. They replace it with the bio rings and such. I haven't read of people changing the Ehiem stuff too much. I think mostly, the only time you put different things in your filters is if you are having an issue. You might add Purigen or amino -carb or something like that. These are issue specific.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Tex Gal. Can you or anybody tell me what a bubble counter is(let me guess....it's something that counts bubbles lol) What is it's function and is it beneficial to a planted tank. And since you are a moderator. How do I respond to an individual who has responded to a thread when the thread is possibley old. There's no date to indicate the threads age. I tried sending a private message.
I have always used the media that comes with the filter. I figure they have engineered it to work best that way.
I do know that some people take out the sponges in the Rena's. They say it clogs to fast. They replace it with the bio rings and such. I haven't read of people changing the Ehiem stuff too much. I think mostly, the only time you put different things in your filters is if you are having an issue. You might add Purigen or amino -carb or something like that. These are issue specific.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by using a ph buffer. Is your water way out of line? Most people use the water from the tap unless it extremely hard or acidic. Adding chemicals usually causes a yoyo affect which is much harder, even deadly sometimes, on your fish. It's best to just slowly acclimate the fish to your water and then you can do water changes with no issues. You do need to keep using the Prime as it is for chlorine and chloramines.

My pH is around 6 with the addition of CO2 and I do nothing to try to get it higher. Fish and plants are fine.
I think your talking about using sodium bicarb as a buffer, to buff the acid and lower the pH. This is only used in extreme circumstances, and not really used for your weekly water change.

What is the pH of your tap water?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
PH out of the tap is 9.0.
You might want to try mixing your tap water with R/O water or distilled water. ADA Aquasoil also brings down pH as does peat in your filter or under your substrate. This is a slow process and if you did this I think you might need to do multiple small water changes several times a week, instead of a large one once a week.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Thank you Tex Gal. Can you or anybody tell me what a bubble counter is(let me guess....it's something that counts bubbles lol) What is it's function and is it beneficial to a planted tank.

And since you are a moderator. How do I respond to an individual who has responded to a thread when the thread is possibly old. There's no date to indicate the threads age. I tried sending a private message.
A bubble counter is hooked up to your CO2 system. It's used with a needle valve. The needle valve is turned to increase or decrease the CO2 gas entering your line. It lets you see how much gas is going into your tank. You can increase the number of bubbles, via a needle valve, which increases the gas going into your tank. There is a lot of variance as to what size bubble, what liquid is it traveling through, etc. The trick is to learn your system. That way you know about how much CO2 to dial in.

No matter how old the thread is you submit a reply the same. It's possible that person that you were answering doesn't check APC regularly anymore and has moved on. That would explain why they aren't answering your pms. It's odd that you don't find a date. All posts I have seen are dated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you so much Tex Gal. Valuable info for sure. Oh man....what a dumb $%# I see the the date now geez! That person did respond. I t just took a while. Thanks.
A bubble counter is hooked up to your CO2 system. It's used with a needle valve. The needle valve is turned to increase or decrease the CO2 gas entering your line. It lets you see how much gas is going into your tank. You can increase the number of bubbles, via a needle valve, which increases the gas going into your tank. There is a lot of variance as to what size bubble, what liquid is it traveling through, etc. The trick is to learn your system. That way you know about how much CO2 to dial in.
No matter how old the thread is you submit a reply the same. It's possible that person that you were answering doesn't check APC regularly anymore and has moved on. That would explain why they aren't answering your pms. It's odd that you don't find a date. All posts I have seen are dated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome info my friend. Thank you so much. I assume by r/o you are talking about reverse osmosis?. I don't have my tank set up yet. I'm trying to get as much info as I can. I don't want to through together a tank with some real pretty fake plants. They have come a long way. I want to make my own piece of under water heaven if you know what I mean lol. By the way. That clip you gave me was just excellent not to mention inspiring. Thanks again
30 G tank ... I would go with the R/O.

Did you try what Tex Gal said and turn up your C02? Whats the new pH lookin like?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts