Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My PPS mixtures:

Macro Solution

In 1 liter bottle:
59 grams K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate)
65 grams KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate)
6 grams KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate)
41 grams MgSO4 (Magnesium Sulfate)
Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Micro Solution

In 1 liter bottle:
80 grams of CSM+B or equivalent trace element mix
Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

·
Banned
732 Posts
I don’t store them in the refrigerator. I keep them in a closet next to my tank.

Under these conditions, my macro solutions eventually develop a precipitate. I am using reagent grade chemicals and distilled water to make my solutions and they are clear when I start.

I don't know if refrigration would help.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I get fungus in mine much more quickly if I keep it at room temp. It still happened in the fridge for me too, just took longer. I read something about people using a few drops of hydrochloric acid in their solutions to keep fungus from growing, but I don't remember exactly how much or if you just use it for micros, macros, or both.

Fungus was less of a problem for me with the macros, so I've just been keeping that at room temp. There's another reason that I keep my CSM+B and iron solutions in the fridge too; I don't know about the stability of the chelators. I had some chelated iron solution (kept at room temp) turn from orange to very light yellow after some time... That may be a fluke though and have nothing to do with the chelators. I know that some commercial micros like Tropica Plant Nutrition Liquid will last a very long time at room temp.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hi
Add few drops of any clear LFS Fungus Medication into the solutions and store them anywhere you like.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I haven't tested this yet but i read somewhere that a few drops of citric acid will work, also has anyone else seen that or tried it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My tank is really big (100gals) so one litre of my solutions will only last me approx 2 weeks - is that enough time to have fungus issues?

Add few drops of any clear LFS Fungus Medication into the solutions and store them anywhere you like.
that sounds like a really good idea!

I haven't tested this yet but i read somewhere that a few drops of citric acid will work, also has anyone else seen that or tried it?
would lemon juice work? Because I know lemon juice isn't toxic to fish - we used to use it to clean tanks when I worked in the LFS!

·
Banned
732 Posts
My tank is really big (100gals) so one litre of my solutions will only last me approx 2 weeks - is that enough time to have fungus issues?
Two weeks????

1 L = 1000ml
1000ml/10ml/day = 100 days

100 days/ 7 day/week = 14 weeks

BTW I don't know how you can add a few drops of citric acid to your solutions as citric acid is a solid. My feeling is that lemon juice will only make the problem worse. I'd stay with fungicide or HCl.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts