Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bucephalandra and Anubias are two of my preferred plants. They come in a wide range of kinds, are typically minimal maintenance, flower, are epiphytic plants (which are my fave since they leave the hardscape looking fantastic! ), and are generally nice plants. Bucephalandra Kedagang, Anubias Mini Coin, and Bucephalandra Mini Coin are three of my all-time faves. Duckweed is my least favourite since it grows WAY too quickly. And most often, it's a hitchhiker. However, if controlled, I actually really enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
6,042 Posts
My least favorite is any plant I paid too much for, and then promptly died. My most favorite is an plant grown by another hobbyist for a long time. She or he loves the plant and wants other people to have it. I take it home where it becomes a beautiful and long lived part of my aquatic garden.

·
Premium Member
5,453 Posts
My favorite is petite Anubias, with some Crypts coming close behind. My least favorite are the mosses because once you have them you can never really get rid of them. I've been trying to eliminate them for years, but a strand or two get trapped somewhere and before you know it, you have a wad of them again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suppose the easiest for me is what I like least.. that would be most mosses. I'm not a daily maintenance type of person. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but mosses (like Christmas moss, etc) just causes me more work than it is worth. If you don't catch all it's clippings, or keep it clipped and fetch every piece, well, it will grow anywhere... even in that really nice bed of monte carlo you've been working on for a while.

Again, perhaps I'm doing it wrong, or just plain to lazy for it. But UGH, it's not for me. But it really does look pretty groovy as it's growing in.

G

·
Registered
25 Posts
One of my favorite is Barclaya longifolia, whether the green/red leafed or the all red leafed variety. It looks great all alone or in the company of bright green or muddy green plants (e.g. crypto). The red variety seems to be the more popular and looks great in tannin water as well as in clear, highly CO2 water. They flower entirely under water, and I’ve had them both produce seeds and babies, as well as go dormant and resprout. The seedlings can, in turn, become a thicket of Barclaya which is, IMHO, is gorgeous although this plant is stunning as a Specimen Tree in your underwater garden.

CAUTION: You DO have to have a tank tall enough for them so you experience them in all their glory and they don’t block the lighting up on the water’s surface. Two “issues:” a) they are highly susceptible to hitchhiker snail damage/destruction, and b) it seems to me that many tubers/bulbs one comes upon in pet store packages are DOA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts