Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am ordering a new fixture for my 55 gallon today, I am getting the Solar T5 4x54watt from Catalina Aquarium. They will replace the stock 10k/Actinic bulbs with other bulbs but I'm new to all of this and I'm unsure of what spectrum to get. They have 52k, 65k, 72k, and Plant Grow(red). I will only be using two of the bulbs until I can afford to upgrade to pressurized CO2, so what spectrum should I go with?
Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
30 Posts
For a planted tank, any range from 65k to 10K is generally accepted as suitable. Some people have a preference as to how each spectrum range "looks" in the tank, it's just something you'll have to see for yourself.
Any local fish stores that maintain planted tanks you could take a look at?

James

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks James, I appreciate the response. I was just wondering if there was a spectrum better then another, I think I am going to the 10k and the 72k and see how it works out. Bulbs are always replaceable anyway!
Thanks again,
Kevin

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Giesemann Midday T5HO.

One of these bulbs will be enough for your 55. Four of them will fry anything you put in it.

Any other bulb will do the job, but not as good as the Giesemann. There are no "good Kelvins" for plants, such a comparison is very popular here in the US and it's based on how the light looks to a person. A variety of cheap Chinese bulbs come in 6, 6.5 or 10K. One bulbs 8K maybe whiter than another bulb's 6.5K - pretty pathetic. Their spectrum is a mystery of course.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
The plants really dont care what the (stated) kelvin temp of the bulb is. What matters is the red and blue light the bulb emits and the intensity of the red and blue at the correct nanometers to stimulate photosynthesis.

Yes. Japanese bulbs and many US made bulbs do not give the spectral output graph as the light is heavy with light in the green area of the spectrum and they are gawd awful. The marketing Departments are wonderfully (for them) adept at moving their product.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts