Hygrophila Angustifolia
Tonina fluviatilis
E. Tenellus micro
Wendtii crypt
Alternanthera reineckii rosaefolia
Needle leaf java fern
Microsorum pteropus
Hemianthus micranthemoides

What will survive in my aquarium with NO CO2, only excel and with the setup I have listed below in my 29 gallon tank?
I will be adding "Mylar" to 2 sides of my tank to reflect light back into my aquarium.
The plants I have in my tank now are not permanent and can be removed and/or trimmed down to size.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
IMO, you should be able to grow most of those plants with that set up. The Tonina would be the one I would be the most concerned of. Growth rate won't be gangbusters on the plants, but I think they'll be ok as long as you fertilize adequately.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks, just making sure.

I hear some people saying certain combinations wont work with the plants people have selected for there tank, so I was just making sure there wasn't a obvious plant that would not work well.

Still not sure what my lighting my tank would be labeled as, as to finding out what light requirement plants I can get for my tank.

Low, average, moderate, high, bright, intense, ?

I will also be adding Mylar to may tank back round and to one side, not sure if that will increase my light rating or not?

I was asking about these plants because someone close by on Craigslist has these plants on there list of what they are selling and many more.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Still not sure what my lighting my tank would be labeled as, as to finding out what light requirement plants I can get for my tank.
65W on a 29, I would call low-moderate.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
65 watts of PC bulbs on a 29 gallon, if they use a reflector comparable to the AH Supply reflectors, would be moderately high, in my opinion. With 72 watts of AH Supply light kits on a 29 gallon tank I found I had moderately high intensity, based on how well the plants grew. A lot depends on how close the bulbs are to the water - the farther you move them away, the lower the intensity, especially at the substrate level. And, I don't see adding reflective material to the back and sides adding much intensity.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's what my light looks like underneath, it gets pretty hot. The double light strip have built it fans.

Could I purchase or make a reflector to go inside of my light strip? There only seem to be white plastic on the other side that doesn't really reflect anything.
If I install a light reflector, would I have to much heat around the bulb?
The main reason for mylar is just for backing and wasn't being purchased for creating more intense beneficial light, but I was hoping it would. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
That light has a poor reflector - yes, it is white, but not the intense, ultra white that gives the best reflectance. So, I'm ready to agree with Bert that you will have low moderate lighting. You will be greatly restricted on what ground cover plants you can use, since they are the farthest from the bulbs, thus get the lowest light intensity.

·
Registered
204 Posts
IMO, HC wont do in this setup, little light and no CO2, Hc wouldnt like that at all. HC will mostly suffer from absence of CO2, as I had once tried that, with low light it would try to live, hardly, but with no CO2 and macro, my all HC had melted. Still I could never achieve good CO2 levels with only Excel.

Also, if you are going to have all of these plants in together, they're nearly going to stop growing.
With little CO2 you wont be able to dose much ferts also.

With this setting I would go for, Wendtii, Hygro, Java fern and the echindorus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts