Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was visiting the site at Greg W., and was wondering which dry fetz should I purchase 1)PMDD Pre-Mix. or 2)Potassium Nitrate? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Not sure how far you want go, but I would still recommend getting the essential components separately and one cheap postal digital scale. This will give you more options later on to mix your own fertilizers to fit your special conditions better.

K2SO4
KNO3
KH2PO4
MgSO4
CSM+B (TE trace elements)

Edward

·
Registered
123 Posts
Edward said:
but I would still recommend getting the essential components separately and one cheap postal digital scale. This will give you more options later on to mix your own fertilizers to fit your special conditions better.
I would like to echo and support Edward's comments here. For a few dollars more, you can get a pound of each of the ingredients separately. This gives you the flexibility to adjust the ratio of the various nutrients to meet the unique nutrient uptake requirements of your tank.

The current PMDD recipe (while it is a time proven strategy - regardless of the science) is meant only to be a starting point from which to adjust the ratio of the various fertilizer ingredients to meet the unique nutrient uptake requirements of your tank ... each tank has its own unique nutrient uptake requirements ...

The best example I can use is a show discus tank I used to maintain ... my dinner plate size discus were feed a raw beef heart/spinach/shrimp diet several times a day ... I never had to dose Nitrate in that tank at all ... however, my plants were starved for Potassium, Magnesium and Micro nutrients ... while this is an extreme example, it is still a good demonstration of why we are usually better off dosing our fertilizers separately rather than in a one size fits all formula (regardless of whether that is a PMDD Pre-Mix or a commercial liquid solution) ...

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts