1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have snails in open top tanks and have not had a problem with escapees. I should note that my tanks are not rimless though, so that might make a difference.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nerites will escape from the tank if you do not have a hood on the tank.
Well that explains it. All the ADA tanks are rimless, I don't think the wife would appreciate fugitive snails in the living room :eek:!

Better stick to shrimp!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I think those nerites are actually Neritina natalensis and their patterns can either be basic stripes to zig zag patterns. I have one in my hoodless 2.5 gallon and she has never made any attempts of escaping.

Some say that most snails tend to escape when either the water quality is bad or if they feel too crowded in the tank they are in.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think those nerites are actually Neritina natalensis and their patterns can either be basic stripes to zig zag patterns. I have one in my hoodless 2.5 gallon and she has never made any attempts of escaping.

Some say that most snails tend to escape when either the water quality is bad or if they feel too crowded in the tank they are in.
Maybe Cinderella sneaks out when the lights are out comes back home before the stroke of midnight! Incidentally, how can you tell she's a she?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Maybe Cinderella sneaks out when the lights are out comes back home before the stroke of midnight! Incidentally, how can you tell she's a she?
She very well could!

On applesnail.net, a person has done quite a bit of research on nerites and they have quite a few pictures of how to tell the difference between a male and female. The nerites they are studying are Olives but it applies for all nerites. :) Here's the link to the thread if you are interested. I just want to warn you that the pictures they posted are quite large so if you have dial-up, it may take quite some time for the pages to load.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts