Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cornelius relief valve leaking?

You know the little red spring in the back/side of a Cornelius (I think it's yellow or green sometimes)? Whenever I open my pressure screw, that valve leaks until I reach 60psi. Then as I back it down all is good until I reach zero then come back up, it leaks until I reach over 60 again. If I back it down to around 20psi and run the system on the tank, it slowly loses working pressure until it's at 0psi.

Anyone know what this means? I've read that the tiny hole on the plastic cone leaking requires a rebuild kit, but is this spring valve related to the same issue or something totally different?

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
I think that is a relief valve, that prevents too high a pressure from existing on the output side of the regulator. And, it seems to be leaking. I'm pretty sure that would require replacing it, if that can be done. I don't have that unit, so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, Hoppy. Yeah, I found it it's a LP relief valve. A guy on a beer site had me take it apart and clean it, that was only a temp fix. Entertained the idea of replacing the reg body but decided to replace the entire thing with a different model that doesn't have an LP relief valve. :|

1 - 3 of 3 Posts