Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do rimless aquariums cost 3X their rimmed counterparts? The prices remain 3X even if the rimmed brotheren have the "euro style lip" rather than the center braces!

Is the manufacturing that much different? Are the edges of the glass cut at 45 degrees instead of 90? If I had acrylic cut and I made a rimless tank, with the euro lip, what would I need to do differently than my store-bought Oceanic 120gal?

Isaac

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Rimless tanks have glass that is usually beveled and polished, increasing labor and cost. They also are engineered differently as the rim adds support again increasing cost. With the increased cost comes a smaller market creating fewer tanks to amortize the engineering costs over.

Also consider this, the tank builders possibly perceive the consumer for a rimless tank is willing to pay more.

One other point, in the US none of the major builders are constructing rimless tanks at this time. That leaves the market to a smaller specialty builder that does not enjoy the same ability to purchase glass in volume. That will increase costs. The smaller builder is more of an artesian then the assembly line process the majors use, again increasing costs.

Lastly I think you will find the quality of the some of the smaller tank builders to be superior then the mass marketers.

·
Registered
739 Posts
turtlehead said:
do you know where I can purchase a simple ada like glass tank in the US?
Without the rim... yes some of the above links may help. With the same level of craftmanship and invisible silicon bead.... not that I know of.

I wonder how many people would participate in a group purchase from Europe of such tanks?

Giancarlo

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think Jeff Senske (Aquarium Design Group) said he has convinced Oceanic to make rimless tanks, you might want to ask in his forum.

TW

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Giancarlo,

I would consider doing so - but my final decision would be price dependent. I just asked for and received quotes from aquariumobsessed.com for the following:

Starphire glass on all sides, no bracing, no rims:
36 x 18 x 18 = USD400.00
24 x 16 x 16 = USD200.00

Plus shipping which amounts to about USD150-250 per tank delivered to NYC.

Greg's aquarium seems to be nice quality. The prices seem fairly good. My guess is that it all comes down to shipping.

As for Oceanic, Jeff did say they would make them custom and the order would have to come via a LFS to Oceanic. There is no way I would order via a NYC LFS for something like that. The communication channel is far to indirect.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
178 Posts
gpodio said:
I wonder how many people would participate in a group purchase from Europe of such tanks?

Giancarlo
I am interested in investigating the possibilities of such a group purchase. How many people would it take to make such a thing economically feasible?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Thinking out loud...

Wonder what Aq Obsessed would cjarge for a run of similiar tanks. There should be a some discount in volume.

·
Registered
178 Posts
gnatster said:
Thinking out loud...

Wonder what Aq Obsessed would cjarge for a run of similiar tanks. There should be a some discount in volume.
That's a good idea. Does anyone here have a good contact over there?

·
Registered
886 Posts
My tank was $250 and $150 to ship (about the same). You have to put Styrofoam underneath or it voids the warranty. I received the tank with a couple minor scratches. I flipped the tank and the bigger one is on the back (right in the middle). At first I was happy just to get the tank in one piece, but with how everyone responded to how much I paid for the tank, I started to get upset that I could go down to petco and get a 20 for $40 and not have any scratches on it. Will offered to send a new one at no charge, I just had to pay the $150 shipping. I worked it out with him so that when I get my 75 gallon ($800) down the road, I wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

As Tony (Gomer) said, the price of the rimless aquarium is only the start. Given an elegant aquarium, one needs an elegant lighting system too. One needs to plan for that too.
And a ADA styles stand,
http://www.aquascapingjournals.com/journals/cabinet.htm
Haven't found a place to build it though, got a quote of $150 but the guy never got back to me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would use black tape or something to cover up the white styrofoam. The rimless tank
look is starting to grow on me. Nice setup!

Bill Ruyle

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Greg, with some minor changes my stand design would look mighty nice with your tank.

I plan to go rimless, open-top soon. My acrylic is gettng on my nerves. Anyhow ...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hey Tony,

The top braces bow, probably because of heat, weight, or a combo thereof.

I also made the mistake of using a Kent ProScraper on it after hearing positive things from other acrylic owners. I put 3 or 4 nice scratches right on the front. I'll probably lower the water level & try to buff them out at some point. Back to acrylic-safe pads I go.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
That's weird. My post just disappeared.

But I'll ask again. Andrew, why would you need/want starphire on all sides. Aren't you only viewing the tank from three? And IUknown how much did it cost for your 20? And the size?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts