Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
: From the WI Edu. plant database I'd swear that it was Echnodorus berteroi. It was growing emerse, about 2ft. tall with numerous flower spikes that were 3ft. tall. I dug a couple up last fall, put them in my pond, and they seemed to die. A week ago I was exploring in the same area (Milwaukee Co.) didn't find anything, it was still pretty cold here (40's) so I looked in my pond(had to break the ice) and sure enough there was green growth on the sword, so I put in my tank. The growth has been amazing.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Dear neonfish 3,

I just got back from kayaking on the Nueces River north of Corpus Christi. On the way out of the Park I saw a ditch with water in it, which is a rare event down here. There looked to be hundreds of these plants in about 6 inches of water. I believe they are berteroi, since I had found some a few years ago south of Houston. The leaves are very variable down here. However, I have absolutely no experience with the plants appearance in cold climates. I would think that berteroi would die in the winter and repropagate from the roots or seeds, but I don't really know. I think KeyPK can give us some info. I have been looking for over a year for berteroi down here.

Did you find your plants in that big round lake in Sauk County? Thats where the WI database shows it is found.

Regards,
Steve Pituch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts