Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Your tank sounds like mine Lamthuy. 10 gallon, 45watts NO florescent. I would recommend 2 things. First get your CO2 up to 30ppm. This will prevent many issues down the road. Second, make sure that your NO3 and traces are in good order. Start with dosing NO3 to 10ppm at wc, check it mid week and dose back up to 10 if necessary then check it again at the next wc. This will give you a general idea of what your tank uses. Increase dosing frequency or amounts to try and maintain at least 5ppm if not 10-15. A little higher is better, especially at the beginning. Never let it bottom out. My tank has lots of fast growing stems and glosso. Just for comparision, I dose 22ppm NO3, 3ppm P, 8ppmMg, 15-20ppm K and atleast 6-8ml flourish and 4-5ml Flourish Fe weekly. I aslo ocassionally dose 5ppm NOs at wc I feel it needs it or tests low. I do my dosing daily. You can check out my thread about it in the fertalizing forum, "Daily Dosing" tread. You can also see my tank here if you want to see what glosso can do in a month. It needs a serious trimming and thinning. I started that with no more than 50 individual plantlets, planted about .5-1" apart.

Hope that helps.

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Your tank sounds like mine Lamthuy. 10 gallon, 45watts NO florescent. I would recommend 2 things. First get your CO2 up to 30ppm. This will prevent many issues down the road. Second, make sure that your NO3 and traces are in good order. Start with dosing NO3 to 10ppm at wc, check it mid week and dose back up to 10 if necessary then check it again at the next wc. This will give you a general idea of what your tank uses. Increase dosing frequency or amounts to try and maintain at least 5ppm if not 10-15. A little higher is better, especially at the beginning. Never let it bottom out. My tank has lots of fast growing stems and glosso. Just for comparision, I dose 22ppm NO3, 3ppm P, 8ppmMg, 15-20ppm K and atleast 6-8ml flourish and 4-5ml Flourish Fe weekly. I aslo ocassionally dose 5ppm NOs at wc I feel it needs it or tests low. I do my dosing daily. You can check out my thread about it in the fertalizing forum, "Daily Dosing" tread. You can also see my tank here if you want to see what glosso can do in a month. It needs a serious trimming and thinning. I started that with no more than 50 individual plantlets, planted about .5-1" apart.

Hope that helps.

· Registered
3,252 Posts
I would assume that is not helping. I have noticed glosso really likes N. try keeping N/P around 10-15/ 2ppm for a couple of weeks and make sure your CO2 is around 30ppm. Everyhting will thank you, except the algae;)

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Tha is more than enough light for glosso. I have 45watts over my 10 and the glosso creeps along the substrate and never grows vertically. That much light is actually hard to grow some plants, like rotala indica, as they don't want to grow vertically. All in all, you certainly do not need more than what I have. You will have to be very diligent in maintaining you CO2 and nutrient levels if you want the tank to look nice. Even with 45watts I still need to trim some plants twice a week. Bacopa australis will grow about 4" a week in this tank. PITA sometimes. Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.