Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Penn Plax Curved Corner Glass Aquarium Kit, nominal 3.4 G, Planted "El Natural"
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a three month update. In fact, I had to restart the tank after the first month due to an unwanted effect of a supposedly "neutral sand" substrate, so it is about two months since its final setup.

The three main stalks of Ludwigia R. are emersing and looking good. I removed the lid, to allow continued emersed growth. Bacopa is coming along, but slow.

Rotala is growing fast, crowning with a nice purplish flower, although the stalk will float and will not stay upright as L.
I am a little concerned about leaving the stalks floating, as they may create (a lot of unwelcome?) shade.

I trimmed Hornworth, and thinned my Frogbit. Right now (5/10/21, 9:00 pm), my parameters are,
TDS 134 ppm, T 24.1 C
pH 6.7, NH3 Neg, NH4 <0.1 ppm,
NO2 ~0.15 ppm, and NO3 5 ppm.

Nitrate is the highest level that I detected so far -- I guess that the inverts and my Gourami are making their presence felt! Or...???

Also, of note, is pH 6.7 that is the lowest that I have measured since I started the tank. Acidification?

I have not done any major water change, but about every other week I have been exchanging about 1.5 L (~10 pct) with my re-mineralized DW mix.

My red cherry "Momma" is carrying eggs all the time, but so far I have only noticed one quarter inch "juvenile" (pre-teen?) making it. Wilson, my Gourami is suspiciously happy and seems to be always in the hunt...

At any rate, IMHO, the tank is doing pretty well, and I am enjoying it!

May_10_Update_640x515.jpg

May_10_Update_Ludwigia_640x438.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's the most important aspect: you are enjoying your tank since everything is thriving. While there are spectacular aquascapes out there, I find to make a smaller tank work and be pleasing to the eye more rewarding. My 5.5 gallon is becoming more appealing by the day, and I enjoy looking at it and observing it for many hours a day while working. And on Sunday I picked up a 10 gallon tank on the cheap to practice carpeting using the dry start method come summer.

·
Banned
323 Posts
If you want your bacopa to grow super fast what I’d do is just float it on a stick poking out of water and grow it like pathos

·
Registered
Penn Plax Curved Corner Glass Aquarium Kit, nominal 3.4 G, Planted "El Natural"
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want your bacopa to grow super fast what I’d do is just float it on a stick poking out of water and grow it like pathos
I'd rather let Nature take its own time and its own course...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts