Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate it if any (all?) of the following are taken care of: :mrgreen:

(1) The auction area of this site needs to be laid to rest. Aquabid, E-bay, and the For Sale/Trade forum are adequate. No need for the extra clutter and division of merchandise.

(2) The View All page of the Plant Finder should NOT be in so many pages. If it needs to be, then please paginate it by letters not numbers. Same deal with the Memberlist page.

(3) The background of the Plant Finder index page should be removed. It's tacky and makes the bottom texts very difficult to read.

(4) There's jibberish with the Growth Rate & Region search criteria of the Plant Finder.

(5) The Peeping-Tom feature (View complete list) of Who is Online has not been functional for several weeks.

(6) What's the point of "Related topics" at the bottom of every posts? It's not very accurate and it adds to the loading time.

(7) Is there a feature that let you save a draft of your unfinished message? It often takes me a couple of days to compose a message. Leaving many windows open from day to day, I often lose messages from accidents, forum malfunctioning, etc. :evil: And my computer was new back in 1999 so it certainly isn't helping any. Hehehe.

(9) The signature field should be modified to accommodate more characters. A simple link takes up valuable character counts, leaving not much else for comments.

(10) The IMG tags won't show pictures from the Album.

(11) This thread should be made a sticky because it is hilarious.

Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Hi,
cS said:
(1) The auction area of this site needs to be laid to rest. Aquabid, E-bay, and the For Sale/Trade forum are adequate. No need for the extra clutter and division of merchandise.
I'll submit it to the Staff for debate. Thanks.
cS said:
(2) The View All page of the Plant Finder should NOT be in so many pages. If it needs to be, then please paginate it by letters not numbers. Same deal with the Memberlist page.
This may be difficult to do. We heard from many people without high-speed connections that the page took too long to load. Switching to letter pagination would entail a huge re-write of code. We'll look into it however.
cS said:
(3) The background of the Plant Finder index page should be removed. It's tacky and makes the bottom texts very difficult to read.
Thanks for your input. We wanted to give it some color as it was pretty drab before. We'll continue to work with it and appreciate your comment.
cS said:
(4) There's jibberish with the Growth Rate & Region search criteria of the Plant Finder.
Wasn't aware of that. I'll get that corrected.
cS said:
(5) The Peeping-Tom feature (View complete list) of Who is Online has not been functional for several weeks.
Thanks. Again, wasn't aware it wasn't working. I'll clean that up shortly.
cS said:
(6) What's the point of "Related topics" at the bottom of every posts? It's not very accurate and it adds to the loading time.
They are intended to be semi-accurate and to provide other topics that may interest the viewer. Load time is only increased slightly. I'll submit this to the Staff for consideration as well.
cS said:
(7) Is there a feature that let you save a draft of your unfinished message? It often takes me a couple of days to compose a message. Leaving many windows open from day to day, I often lose messages from accidents, forum malfunctioning, etc. :evil: And my computer was new back in 1999 so it certainly isn't helping any. Hehehe.
Ah, something I can give you a yes to. I will write the code for this if it would be helpful to you. - Done -
cS said:
(9) The signature field should be modified to accommodate more characters. A simple link takes up valuable character counts, leaving not much else for comments.
Can do.
cS said:
Can't do. Unfortunately, due to security concerns, the software engineers that wrote our forum software removed that feature in the latest version.
cS said:
(11) This thread should be made a sticky because it is hilarious.
Of course, it is hilarious.

Thank you for taking the time to list these and helping to make us better.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Art_Giacosa said:
Thank you for taking the time to list these and helping to make us better.
Just say it. I know I'm a pain in the tooshie. :mrgreen: Thank you for listening. :D

cS said:
This may be difficult to do. We heard from many people without high-speed connections that the page took too long to load. Switching to letter pagination would entail a huge re-write of code. We'll look into it however.
In that case, may we have more plants per page? Or possibly make all the page numbers appear instead of only 4 at a time? It's kind of an inconvenience to have to click page 4 before pages 5-8 will appear, especially as the database grows.

cS said:
Can't do. Unfortunately, due to security concerns, the software engineers that wrote our forum software removed that feature in the latest version.
If I may be so nosy, what are these security concerns? I did a Google search in the hope of finding a backdoor and it seems that there's a portion of the code that can be modified to turn it back to the way it was, according to this post. I don't know anything about programming but I hope that it isn't too much work; but the inability to post images is a real drab. As is, there's nothing but endless lines of text with nothing to excite the eyes. :cry:

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
You're certainly not a pain. :D By speaking up is how we know what changes we need to make.

As for the Plant Finder pagination, I'll look into it. I may be able to increase the number shown. Again, can't promise anything currently.

As for security concerns, you can read about them at www.phpbb.com. Yes, there is a way to "deactivate" this change but I am studying the potential repurcussions.

In the meantime, you can use the attachment feature to add pictures.

I'll get back to you on what I find on the image linking.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Could I add one tiny, meek, humble little suggestion/question to this post so I don't have to start a new one just for this little thing? Thanks... :wink:

Do you think the shoutbox is used enough to justify the extra load time it takes when you log in? It really isn't a problem for me with the satellite connection, but I could see it taking a while extra for someone with dial-up.
At least that's always one of the things I see when the page is loading - "waiting for shoutbox".

It doesn't matter one way or the other to me, but I was just wondering. :) Like Art doesn't already have enough to do.... :oops:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey Art... saw this on another forum for model trains (rushing to get a platform done before Christmas...)

They have an "archive" section, where the best threads are moved then edited real nice like so they don't get buried deep down in the forums... All the "me too" stuff is removed, photo sigs, posts merged etc so its much more readable.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
JanS said:
Could I add one tiny, meek, humble little suggestion/question to this post so I don't have to start a new one just for this little thing? Thanks... :wink:

Do you think the shoutbox is used enough to justify the extra load time it takes when you log in? It really isn't a problem for me with the satellite connection, but I could see it taking a while extra for someone with dial-up.
At least that's always one of the things I see when the page is loading - "waiting for shoutbox".

It doesn't matter one way or the other to me, but I was just wondering. :) Like Art doesn't already have enough to do.... :oops:
Jan, thanks. The shoutbox was added to give people a voice that would be seen by all on the Index page. It also allowed for general announcements that we didn't need to have on the Portal page. Lastly, initially, it allowed me to continuously pester people about voting for us on a daily basis. :twisted:

Once we get through the Plant Auctions, I'll see if there are many people that don't like and we'll make a decision.

Thanks for bringing it up.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
JLudwig said:
Hey Art... saw this on another forum for model trains (rushing to get a platform done before Christmas...)

They have an "archive" section, where the best threads are moved then edited real nice like so they don't get buried deep down in the forums... All the "me too" stuff is removed, photo sigs, posts merged etc so its much more readable.

Jeff
I think that's a great suggestion. Let me think about how best to implement it. PM me the URL for the other board.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Art_Giacosa said:
Jan, thanks. The shoutbox was added to give people a voice that would be seen by all on the Index page. It also allowed for general announcements that we didn't need to have on the Portal page. Lastly, initially, it allowed me to continuously pester people about voting for us on a daily basis. :twisted:

Once we get through the Plant Auctions, I'll see if there are many people that don't like and we'll make a decision.

Thanks for bringing it up.
It certainly does have an important function then.
Disregard.... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts