Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just checking out my 100 gallon after setting up my cool new pressurized CO2 on Sunday (which is going GREAT by the way) , and I saw something moving on the substrate... I looked a little closer and it was a baby fish!! :eek: He swam away before I could think of what to do, and the last I saw he was hiding out in a patch of java ferns.

I don't have a clue what species it is, but it was sitting flat on the gravel whenever it wasn't moving... he's SOOOOOOO tiny, only about 5 mm or 1/4" long! His head is the only really visible part, about the size of a head of a pin, and his body is kind of longish in proportion to his head.

I noticed my otos were chasing each other around quite a bit the other day, so maybe it's an oto... but he sits flat on the gravel whenever he's not moving, like my SAE's...

We'll see if he survives!

There Can Be Only One. :biggrin:

·
r'bow lover
1,658 Posts
Nice job! :D must be a well planted aquarium.

As for the species, you described the morphology of every baby fish (big head, slim body), although the behavior gives it away a little. most schooling fish fry will be pelagic (in the water column) while newly hatched cichlids and catfish will be more benthic (bottom dwelling).

At first I figured you had a baby cichlid, but I think it's likely a catfish (got cories?)...

I'm not sure ottos have been bred in captivity -if they have, its not a commonality. That would be pretty cool if they did though. :D Congrats on the great husbandry! :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm amazed at how tiny baby fish are. My cory cats just hatched and I expected them to be at least the size of a tadpole...not even close! They are so small they can probably slip through the holes in the breeder container.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have about 20 cardinals, 4 cories (3 of same species), 2 true SAE's, 2 red phantom tetras, 6 emperor tetras, various otocinclus, 5 harlequin rasboras, malasian trumpet snails, and plain old pond snails in that tank. My guess is either oto or SAE. Since I started the CO2 everybody's gone crazy in there. Fish Gone Wild. ;)

I have a separate tank where I'm trying to breed snowball shrimp so I can move them to this tank too.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I have a separate tank where I'm trying to breed snowball shrimp so I can move them to this tank too.
better only put the adult shrimp in that tank almost everything you listed besides snails and ottos will eat baby shrimp. basically any size shrimp they can fit in their mouth

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I know, thanks!!

Once I get a couple hundred shrimp or so I'll start moving the big ones over there. By the time I have that many, my tank will be a jungle I'm sure, so maybe even little shrimp might actually have a chance in there even with all the fish.

Since I hooked up my CO2 system on Sunday it's looked like my plants are planted in 100 gallons of 7-Up! :) Every night when I look at it, most plants have a whole new whorl of leaves starting. It's AWESOME! :biggrin:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I saw a baby fish in there that looks like it might be a tiny emperor tetra. There may be others...!! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts