Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would have been interested in some wolffia, but I'm in Sweden, not sure if it'd be worth the cost and trouble sending it.

I think the goldfish should clean it up if you take most of it away and keep other plants down so they don't protect the wolffia from beeing eaten.

I've been considering spraying duckweed with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) haven't tried it yet, so i can't tell if it works even for duckweed, but with concentration strong enough and enough of it is used I can't see how wolffia or common duckweed could survive it. One should always be careful when handling H2O2, and not add too much to the tank at a time.

One problem with duckweed is that it can lay dormant and hidden, so even if all floating visible duckweed is picked away or killed one time it can reappear, it might be the same with wolffia.

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
I have a suspicion that duckweed can also set seeds and survive long periods of time being dried out. I had a 10 gallon tank with duckweed that I was using to breed killies and then I let the water completely evaporate and the plants die off. A year and a half later I filled it with water and the duckweed came back to life! o_O

I'm not sure if wolffia does this as well though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This stuff sounds good ..... I've been trying to buy some duckweed and tubifex worms locally, even went to every pet shop in Billings (100 miles away) looking for them, no one sells them any more. Anyone that has some starters of duckweed, wolffia, and tubifex worms that doesn't want them, is welcome to contact me, .... I'll pay the S&H ;) ;) if it isn't too much.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
the goldfish... completely uninterested in the stuff. so now i have two feeders i need to give away (i can't bring myself to kill them). they took big bites, then spit it out. they were more interested in the snails, actually. they'd pluck baby snails off the glass and would eat them! stupid little orange gutter feeders...

so i'll try something else next. i saw some "rosy barbs" at the store but... they weren't rosy barbs. i'll keep my eyes open for them. in the mean time, i've been trying to just net some of it out to keep myself from going crazy. but the stuff will actually sink in the water and will very slowly resurface, so it's harder to snag than duckweed (which definitely rises to the surface much more quickly, if it even goes under at all).

·
Registered
13 Posts
the goldfish... completely uninterested in the stuff. so now i have two feeders i need to give away (i can't bring myself to kill them). they took big bites, then spit it out. they were more interested in the snails, actually. they'd pluck baby snails off the glass and would eat them! stupid little orange gutter feeders...

so i'll try something else next. i saw some "rosy barbs" at the store but... they weren't rosy barbs. i'll keep my eyes open for them. in the mean time, i've been trying to just net some of it out to keep myself from going crazy. but the stuff will actually sink in the water and will very slowly resurface, so it's harder to snag than duckweed (which definitely rises to the surface much more quickly, if it even goes under at all).
If you want to ship me some, I'd pay shipping (IF it isn't too much!) I figure that one of those large 6x8 or 8.5x11 manilla envelopes padded with bubble wrap with a couple/three wet paper towels and a handful or two of wolffia wouldn't cost too much to ship, that way, whatever survives the trip would be enough to make a starter for my tanks. Depending on where you live, it probably wouldn't be much more than 4 or 5 days at the most in the mail ;) I'll even send you the padded envelope .... I've got a few of those floating-(not a pun) around here ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
sorry i didn't send any to anyone... this stuff is just too evil. this is not a case of "one man's junk..." unfortunately. it needed to be eradicated.

goldfish didn't work, rosy barbs didn't work, and neither did turquoise rainbows. i gave up and tried some white mollies because they were 2 bucks at petsmart. they are ugly as sin to look at, but they have been SLOWLY working away at it. i netted out whatever i could, and let those hungry guys go after the rest (i didn't feed them, i'm mean). they aren't the best "hunters" but they'll find it eventually and munch on it. of course, since they were petsmart fish, some of them slowly died away. one developed popeye shortly after i got him, and others had random sickly issues. but... i'm hoping in another week i'll be completely free! i would claim victory, but i'm sure there are 5 plants in there i can't see... and if left unchecked, they would multiply into 50 in a week, and then 500.

so, if anyone else is trying to get rid of some wolffia. starve some mollies. although i still think some hungry angels would have made a meal of it, too.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Does anybody out there still have a problem with Wolffia? I am a high school science teacher in need of some for a science fair project.

Ryan
I think that depends on the objectives of the project. As has been noted in preceding posts, wolffia grows rapidly and a culture of it would contain many plants in various stages of development. It also probably consumes a lot of nitrates and phosphates, and that might be interesting to demonstrate. It is also the smallest known flowering plant in the world.

However, it leaves much to be desired as a member of a diverse plant community and is probably best omitted from such an environment.

Good luck with the project!

Bill

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh I have several project in mind for my students. My only real problem is where to find some.....:)
Ryan, you should be able to find some growing wild in your area. Look for a stagnant ditch or nutrient-rich pond - it shouldn't be too hard to find. The surface of the water will be bright green, similar to the appearance of a mat of duckweeds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It seems to me that just about any fish eats the stuff. I had a 55 planted that got it and I had tons of it. I used to scoop it out and feed it to my fish, severums really liked it. I added some tiger endlers to the tank, and the Wolffia was gone in a few weeks. I'd say that just about anything you add to your tank will probably eat it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.