Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up my 45 gallon tank with 405 fluval filter. The output creates a very strong current of water (for my tank). Some glosso have been blown up since they have not developed a healthy root system yet. I have to adjust the output to reduce the strength of the flow.

Do you think glosso would like a strong or weak current of water? And do you think a weak current of water woud be able to evenly deliver the pressurized CO2 gas throughout my 45 gallon tank?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
IME glosso quite likes a decent current. This may, of course, be because it simply delivers the CO2 and ferts to the glosso that it requires rather than it being a necessity in itself.

I have over 10 times the tank's volume turnover per hour though as standard!

·
Registered
54 Posts
It sounds like a lot but that is really what you are supposed to have when you have a high tech tank. To have glosso you need a little more light than most plants so it won't grow vertically, so more filtration is required. I had glosso in the past and i had a fluval 305, 1100 liter per hour power head, ehiem 2213, and another smaller powerhead on a 55 gallon tank. Ensured good circulation and even distribution of ferts and co2 which is very important that glosso gets its ferts and
co2.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
10 times? Wow! Are there any plants being uprooted due to your very strong current?
I know some guys who use 20-30 times on some smaller tanks! 10 times the manufacturers rating isn't that much really as most turnovers quoted are measured with no media and tiny lengths of pipework, if any. I also use a Koralia pump to help move the water around and they have huge trunovers but at low velocity so it's not like the 'jetting' flow from a normal powerhead or filter.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't think glosso itself really cares too much about flow. It'll grow as long as ferts, lights, and co2 are there. Don't get me wrong though, I'm a believer of having more than adequate flow. I just don't think its as picky as bolbitus hueldoti or however you spell it. I get loose nodes of glosso all the time when I replant. You'll just have to replant them and give them time to get their roots sunk in and they should be just fine. Hth...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think glosso itself really cares too much about flow. It'll grow as long as ferts, lights, and co2 are there. Don't get me wrong though, I'm a believer of having more than adequate flow. I just don't think its as picky as bolbitus hueldoti or however you spell it. I get loose nodes of glosso all the time when I replant. You'll just have to replant them and give them time to get their roots sunk in and they should be just fine. Hth...
So as long as they develope their healthy root system in the substrate, they would not be blown up by the strong current water?

·
Registered
466 Posts
So as long as they develope their healthy root system in the substrate, they would not be blown up by the strong current water?
That's pretty much it. Almost every plant whether its some stems or hc might have a tendency to float on you till their roots sink in. The heavier the current, the more likely they will float. Just ask anyone who has tried to plant hc. Glosso is no different. Glosso, on the other hand, is a weed. For me, it just takes a matter of days for it to root in. Unless, my pleco decides otherwise. After its rooted in, you're gonna have to pretty much rip it out just so you can thin it down and start over. Don't worry, just give it some time...

·
Registered
466 Posts
By saying that glosso is a weed, do you mean that the floating glosso can even live just under the water surface without rooting into the substrate?
Well, its a weed in the sense that it'll grow and spread very quickly. In my 30 gal, glosso fills about half that tank. When I thin it out, it'll usually take about a month for it to become a nice full carpet again. Speaking of which, I think I'm gonna have to thin it out again. And yes, glosso, as with almost any other plant, will still grow floating. Although, depending which way its facing, the leaves might curl under. Kinda hard to explain but it does grow fine just floating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.