Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Re: Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro

Sorry:

This is what I use.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/100-x-0-01-GRAM-DIGITAL-POCKET-SCALE-JEWELRY-SCALES-ESA_W0QQitemZ160294374725QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160294374725&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

·
Registered
42 Posts

You don't need to spend $20. I bought a scale for about $8 shipped. Unfortunately, I can't remember who I bought it from but if you search this website, there are other discussions about purchasing a scale. That is where I got my information from. Whoever I purchased it from was quick and inexpensive.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Do they measure in:
0.1 grams
0.01 grams or
0.001 grams

You really need a scale that will measure to 0.01 grams for our use. One that measures to 0.001 would be even better.

I have one scale that measures to 0.001 grams for measuring small amounts and an older scale that measures to 0.1 grams for measuring larger amounts.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The one I have is to the .1 gram. Is this sufficient or do I need to go buy a different kind?
I'd use it and make a best guess if the number includes 2 or 3 decimal places. I used the my 0.1 gram scale for many years and it was good enough for me.

Most of the time, a scale that measures to one decimal place in grams should be good enough. You just need to calculate the percentage of error involved and make sure that your measurement is close enough for what you intend to do..

If you were making standard testing solutions, a three or more decimal place scale in grams would be much better.

I hope this helps you, supersmirky.

Left C

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
A digital scale at 0.1 gram is nice but not necessary. Let's say KH2PO4 in solution #1 is the smallest amount of 6 grams per litre so keep adding until the scale says 7 grams which is perfectly ok. Other chemicals are larger quantities as 41 grams of MgSO4 so 41 on the display of a digital scale is perfectly fine. Don't worry about it, if you compare this with spoon users whose error is +/- 100% we are still pretty accurate.

·
Registered
472 Posts

What type of scale do I need? I saw alot in ebay but dont know what to get.. they have 500 x 0.1 gram digital pocket scale for $12.95, is this ok?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

Please read this link as well. It will help you too. It all depends on how accurate that you want to be. Edward makes a good point.

·
Registered
472 Posts

Thank you all. I just got one for 15 bucks the 100 x 0.01 grams free shipping at ebay.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts