Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
If the tank is at a good price, I would give it a try. I am sure that Diana will pipe in with some advice. Read some of the posts on the larger tanks.

Here is a link at Natural Aquariums of some successful larger tanks. One of these is a 135 - not sure of dimensions, but I would think it would be deep. These tanks have been featured here at APC too by the same user guppyramkrib.

http://naturalaquariums.com/bb/index.php?topic=1085.0

Had to REALLY look for this one. This is a BIG tank and I don't know what substrate was used although it looks like sand on top. I do know that there is no CO2 by reading some of the comments. There is filtration though. Just amazing. There are more videos at his "channel"

· Registered
65 Posts
You have lots of room to play with a big tank. Plants like swords get to really stretch out. I love the large bundles of Rotala - really striking. Sounds like you are on your way. I don't have a large tank, so I have no practical experience with them. My largest ones are 29gal.

You may want to consider using sand instead of gravel on top of the soil. Sand is really easy to plant in (like stem plants) and plants like hairgrass and chain sword love it. I use it exclusively now. If I ever have to tear down a tank the whole substrate can be thrown in the garden! Just my opinion. Many others use gravel.

· Registered
65 Posts
No - absolutely not - NO pictures - no way. :rolleyes: Are you kidding? bring 'em on!

I am very lucky that in my local aquarium club there are several that have soil based tanks. Some have soil based tanks with native fishes in them that are collected locally. The club has two extremes - the high tech scientific-ky salty reef people and us fresh water folksy types that throw mud in the bottom of our tanks. The saltys just look at us and shake their heads in disbelief!

I can't think of anything more striking than Jungle Vals (Vallisneria gigantea) in a tall tank. flagg's has V. americana in it. The Jungles are much more stout and would look great in a big tank like yours. Several species of Hygrophila grow quite large. I like Hygrophila corymbosa ‘Angustifolia’ . It has narrow Zen-like leaves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.