Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just joined the forum, but I have been reading it for a bit now.

I had 3 small planted tanks with Flourite substrate and no CO2. I then read Diana's book and decided to try Natural. I now have 2 tanks set up Natural style. Wow, no comparison, the Natural tanks have just exploded.

I have the opportunity to get a 120 Gal 60Wx18Dx24H tank at a great price and have a spot for it that would be perfect. But after reading Diana's book I am concerned the tank is too deep. I was planning 2 fixtures with dual 65watt bulbs over it. 260 total watts of CF light.

What do you all think? Would this work?

Thanks

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tames, Thanks for responding. Really good reading and these tanks look just amazing. The first thread was helpful because he discussed moving from MH lighting to florescent tubes. Sounds like he has multiple similar size tanks with both more and less lighting than I am planning.

The video with the Discus was really good. I would love to set up something like that. Dense planting with vals, onion plants, bacopa, ludwigia, java ferns, anubias, bronze crypts, a couple of swords and some brazilian pennywort floating on top. For fish, a squad of cories, either some small rainbows or rummy nose tetras, and about 5 colorful discus.

I need to buy or pass up this tank tomorrow, and... who am I kidding, of course I am going to take it. I would appreciate any advice you all have on setting it up though. I did pick up some good tips in this forum about introducing some trumpet snails and to be sure my rocks and driftwood are placed on the glass and not on the top of the gravel.

Thanks!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Flagg! Awesome thread and great photos. Reading it, I was little concerned with your early algae problems. But I am encouraged and now feel like the lighting I had planned will work. The tank can also get a some filtered sun through a basement daylight window into it if needed.

I got the tank and it is in place and filled with water to make sure it does not leak. Looks good so far. I guess I will go ahead and order the lighting, heaters and filters and give this try.

All the folks at my LFSs and local aquarium club forum act like I am crazy when I describe this style of tank. But I have gotten a good welcome and response here and it's good to get some positive feedback from people who have some experience.

I am going to need some TALL background plants in this thing. I know the Vals and Swords will work but am wondering what else to use that will get tall enough.

Also, Do you guys think there would be interest in me posting progress photos as this thing gets going?

Thanks
Dave

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds great everyone. I appreciate the advice and suggestions on the plants. The lights, pumps and such should be delivered this week.

I think I will take some pics as I am putting it together and start a new thread. Whether it works or crashes it might be interesting to post it all. ( but I do hope it works!!!)

Thanks again for the warm welcome and advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.