Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Man, that's almost an arm and a legs! hahaha
Actually that's not all that bad, I think. I'll post when they become available.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am under the impression that moss will last longer in transit and withstand worse conditions that most stem plants. That said, It is a rip off on shipping, Still dont' think a 3x3 mat of moss, even with wire mesh will weigh more than a pound. Maybe he has his reasons....

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
First class shipping and it was still ok? Seems like a rip off on the shipping though.
then don't get it. do you know what first class shipping is? $7 is not bad at all especially if your paying $35 for the plant I'd rather it would arrive sooner and healthy than later.

yeah man i like the looks of that giant flame moss too :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
then don't get it. do you know what first class shipping is? $7 is not bad at all especially if your paying $35 for the plant I'd rather it would arrive sooner and healthy than later.

yeah man i like the looks of that giant flame moss too :D
Ok explain first class then.

I sent out first class for less than 3 dollars before.

For something like that I would expect at least priority. Also First class took longer than priority. 5 days last time I tried it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
express is fastest next day/$$$ ideal for fish
priority is next fastest 2-3 days/ideal for plants
first class/parcel post is slowest /cheapest ideal for dry goods.

I did a calculation online from my house to texas for a 1lb or less package

express (if shipped today at 5pm) delivered by noon tomorrow is $22.90
regular priority (no flat rate box) delivered 2 days (not guaranteed) is $4.80
parcel post is 6 day delivery is $4.55

·
Registered
490 Posts
express is fastest/$$$ ideal for fish
priority is next fastest/ideal for plants
first class is slowest/cheapest ideal for dry goods.
That is excatly why I would expect it to go out at least priority for such a rare moss.
I doubt the moss is going to weight more than a pound so it really shouldn't cost more than 6 for shipping priority including materials. Hence why its a rip off for shipping it first class. So I am surpized that the moss made it through first class since it also takes longer.

·
r'bow lover
1,658 Posts
Don't get riccardia via regular mail. I did that and I had 1/10 of a cm survive. 6 months later I have about a golfball. not worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I guess it really doesn't matter, but I personally won't get it either for that price. I gotten mine from Aquaticmagic when they had some. It took like a week but they are okay since they were shipped late fall. They crisp in hot temps.

Hey, Six! Did you tied yours to driftwood or a rock? My rock one is twice as slow then the wood one. And the frowns are bigger on wood then rock or mesh.

·
Registered
156 Posts
"Jazz" How is yours growing? I have bought from this seller before and he had emersed moss along with his submersed. So some of the plants I got did not grow. Is Coral moss one of his coined names? He did have a habit of coined names.
Coral moss is it a type of liverwort? Can't seem to find a close up pic of the stuff

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to let you all know, I decided against the "giant flame moss" and mini pellia and ordered some moss from aquaticmagic. I figure I'd rather get a sample of mini pellia from a fellow member here anyway.

crystal view - I did get an email from him and he was less than cordial to me. What did you order from him?

·
Registered
156 Posts
"Chadly" This kid is the middle man for a relative. I bought the "HaHa" New Fissiden from him and found it grew fine if I left it in the eheim beads but no where else. He also carried cement moss which he had a coined name for. The triangle moss came in a bed of peat and turned brown right away. I don't have the knack to go from emersed to submersed. He has a lot of sales but never did check what was bought.
This why I asked "Jazz" about the coral moss.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so, for what it's worth I ended up getting some star moss (or whatever it is) and some weeping moss. Took two tries and about a month but I got them...

Aquaticmagic has good customer service, but some things about ordering plants from overseas need to be addressed for us hobbyists who are just trying to save a couple bux. In the end it's probably not at all worth it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.