Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
All utricularia species are aquatic only and will not grow out of water. :( I found this out the hard way.

I'd like to get some as well, if anyone wants to do a group order let me know.

·
Registered
216 Posts
sorry zapins but you are wrong. UG grows emersed. I am not suggesting that it is an optimum way to grow it. I am pretty sure Tropica grows it emersed commercially. At least that is what they claim.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
~80% of Utricularias are terrestrial with flat leaves and traps that grow under the ground submersed in water (usually very wet soil). ex: graminifolia

~15% are aquatic and float with leaves that appear like strands or feathers. ex: vulgaris, inflata, radiata. These are EVIL in the aquarium.

~5% are epiphytes.

I suppose that since the terrestrial species are well adapted to periodic flooding and waterlogged soils (due to the need to keep their traps submersed) they would be capable of surviving fully submersed in an aquarium, or at least the majority of them.

Problem is finding the buggers! Usually you have to wait till they bloom (only for a few weeks in the spring) to find them. I saw one species in the field earlier this year but didn't think of taking a sample.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5666.html

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Yes, what he said ^

Most of the Utricularia species are terrestrial. Some are amphibious such as graminifolia.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just received an order from carnivorousplantnursery. I ordered two and got an extra of something, not sure what it is yet. I am at a little loss on how to plant it in my tank though, any pointers?

·
Registered
210 Posts
How large are the portions? I am looking to order from them too but a bit skeptical on the amount per portion.

Can you please take a photo of your purchase for us?

·
Registered
98 Posts
i think the extra plant they sent is U. Gibba. I'd estimate that each portion is about 2x2. I emailed them and they suggested 3 to 6 portions to start with for a 20gal tank. I'll try to take some pictures later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.