Aquatic Plant Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's almost laughable how much more expensive rare corals are compared to rare plants but I am interested in trading some of my corals for some of your plants. I would also consider trading for some technical plant equipment like pH meter, reg/solenoid and even ADA layout tools.

----Corals I have include
SPS
Montipora undata, M. setosa, M. aequituberculata (original Tyree LE, Rainbow and Pokerstar), Acropora robusta, A. lokani, A. caroliniana, A. valida, A. millipora (3 different colors), A. prostrata, A. suharsonoi, A. efflorescens, A. horrida and a whole host of other species.
LPS
Cyphastrea decadia 2 types, C. ocelina [/I](meteor shower), Many top shelf acan lords, cherry Manicinas, War Coral, Lithophyllon, Sandalolitha, electric green candy coral
Zoanthids
Pacific Ring or Fires, Purple Deaths, Purple People Eaters, Fluorescent Purple Deaths, Green skirt blues, Joy's Blues, a couple different Palythoa grandis, black hole suns, gorilla nipples, bambams, and a few more brilliant vars without proper cracked out names

----Plants I am seeking include
Eriocaulon--- Goias, China, Mato Grosso, Mini Taco, Amanoanum, Zollingeranium, Nepalense, parvum kagoshima,
Syngonanthus chrysanthus, S. caulescens
Misc--- Java fern trident, Rhodobryum, Bucephalandra, Quercifilix, Crepidomanes auriculatum,
Stems--- Ammania sp. Sulawesi, Bacopa araguaia, Rotala araguaia, Tonina fluviatilis "lotus blossom", Ludwigia . . . "pantanal", Limnophylia aromatica, Blyxa indica, Blyxa echinosperma, Eichornia natans, Eichornia nigeria, Arthaxon, Ceratophyllum "peru", Hydrocotyle batrachium, hygrophyla bihar, murdannia "pantanal"
Crypt--- nurii, bullosa, keei, hurdoroi
Aponogeton--- tofus, eurysperma
Echinodorus--- Red spider/spidernet, Felix, Golden Flame, Crimson sails, deep purple, red needle crown,

Ok that is enough of a laundry list. So how about it? You know you want to set up a saltwater tank.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Many of these are so rare that I've never heard of them before. Some of them don't seem to be true aquatics, particularly ones in your Misc. section.

Where did you acquire this list? How did you find these plant names? How do you know all of them are true aquatic plants?

and what in the world are you going to do with them???

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll trade my trident for a r'bow aussie lord frag.
I bet you would!

Do you have any experience with growing plants? Some of those are tough plants, and not for new setups.
I started keeping plants in '95 and I grow Erios and Toninas gangbusters. Thanks for the concern.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many of these are so rare that I've never heard of them before. Some of them don't seem to be true aquatics, particularly ones in your Misc. section.

Where did you acquire this list? How did you find these plant names? How do you know all of them are true aquatic plants?

and what in the world are you going to do with them???
The list I made over a long period of time, many names were found from websites all over the world. "True Aquatic" is such a nebulous term, kind of like "Reef Safe". All of the plants listed have the capacity to grow submerged under specific conditions.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I started keeping plants in '95 and I grow Erios and Toninas gangbusters. Thanks for the concern.
Thinking you can grow all types of Tonina / Erio sp because you grew or currently growing some of the easy species (Belems, Cinereums, Thailands, Fluviatilis, Lago Grande, Manaus) cannot be applied to the more difficult sp.

Don't take it the wrong way I'm just being real :) There's a reason why the rare plants are ........rare :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the following plants let me know if you are interest:

Downois
Crypt "Rosanervig"
Hygrophila difformis "variegated"
Hygrophila sp. "Rio Araguaia" or "Roraima"--can't tell the difference
Eleocharis sp."Belem"

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thinking you can grow all types of Tonina / Erio sp because you grew or currently growing some of the easy species (Belems, Cinereums, Thailands, Fluviatilis, Lago Grande, Manaus) cannot be applied to the more difficult sp.
Don't take it the wrong way I'm just being real :) There's a reason why the rare plants are ........rare :)
People say that SPS corals are hard to keep and grow but in reality they just need very specific care requirements. This is the way I view plants, and especially those which are considered hard to grow. Give them the exact biotic and abiotic conditions which they need to grow and they will, it is as simple as that. Now if you consider it difficult to provide strong light, good flow, clean water and balanced nutrients, that is not the same as saying a plant is difficult to grow. Granted, some plants just grow slowly and you can't do much about it but compared to growing rock (corals), even the slowest plants grow at breakneck speed.

@Six--- If you have a sizeable plant of trident you want to trade for a $100 polyp of rainbow lord, I'll consider it. Grow it out, I'm in no rush, especially when it comes to shipping delicate corals in the dead of winter.

@gw11ucb--- let me know what you are interested in and I will likely take you up on a little of each plant you listed. What I already have I will give to the plant club.

·
Registered
481 Posts
People say that SPS corals are hard to keep and grow but in reality they just need very specific care requirements. This is the way I view plants, and especially those which are considered hard to grow. Give them the exact biotic and abiotic conditions which they need to grow and they will, it is as simple as that. Now if you consider it difficult to provide strong light, good flow, clean water and balanced nutrients, that is not the same as saying a plant is difficult to grow. Granted, some plants just grow slowly and you can't do much about it but compared to growing rock (corals), even the slowest plants grow at breakneck speed.
While I do agree that an SPS or others are slower growing, more expensive & requires more equipment, at least you can find a wealth of information on various forums on the specifics on what they need to survive.

Now when you happen to get a hold of a rare plant that happens to be a very picky sp you best believe it will not come nor will you find the specific care requirements sheet or the exact biotic and a biotic conditions chart :) and the reason why you will fail several times over as you learn what makes them happy (the difficulty and why most give up).

I do wish you all the best in your quest for rare plants...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.