Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had many canister filters before and I just recently bought a Rena xp2 for one of my tanks and hooked it up to a rena smartheater. I have used only eheims before this (my last one was a Pro II 2026) so I am familiar with their operation. The problem I am having is with noise. I get a noticable hum from the XP2 and was wondering if this is normal for this filter. I can hear the hum 10 feet away with no problem.

I have tried the following
-let it sit for 2 minutes
-checked the water level in the canister
-removed the media from the baskets and ran the unit empty
-removed the spray bar so no back pressure

Nothing has worked, so I am thinking that it is just the poor quality of the filter as an eheim with this flow is a lot of money more. Flow from the unit is very good, but I just cant get over the noise. Do others notice the hum? The box for the filter had a lot of dust on it so could it because of its age.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brilliant: I actually sold the eheim pro II after I had used it for 3 years for more than the rena xp2 and smartheater combined. I thought it was a good deal, get a brand new filter and heater in exchange for a 3 years old filter. I am really regretting it now.
I have had fluvals that are better then this rena as far as noise is concerned.

bdement: There must be a fix for this so if your impeller replacement works please let me know. You would think a brand new impeller would be fine.

I am going to talk to the store today and see what they say but it is a pretty low end generic pet store so they will probably just tell me to do what I already tried. But its worth the shot.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reduced a large portion of the noise by setting the filter on top of a folded towel.
I have the rubber 'feet' on the filter but they dont seem to provide enough vibration protection even after I checked to see if they were on properly.
The noise is down to an acceptable level now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.