Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ugh... so i'm running into a bunch of problems these days. i recently had an outbreak of bba, which i'm still trying to remedy. i went out and bought some ferts (Flourish Excel) to help stem the problem, since i read on another thread that this could help. the algae is still there, but doesn't seem as bad. BUT my question isn't about the algae (i'm doing plenty of reading to try and get my tank in balance). then there's the population explosion of fw limpets, which i'm still trying to figure out how to stem the pop effectively and w/o meds. the problem i have now is hydra, lil 2-3mm see-thru or greenish creatures with tentacle-looking things at the end. at first i tho't it was fuzz algae, but upon closing inspection, they were living creatures that contract at the slightest touch.

how do i get rid of them? i have fw inverts in the tank so dosing with some kind of med (e.g., fluke tabs) is out of the question. i've read that adding gourami or apple snail will help, since they eat those buggers. i don't like apple snails and adding one more fish the tank is not really an option. what other methods are there?

thanx in advance.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I had excellent results controlling hydra with peroxide. A little squirt right on them wiht a syringe and they went away.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, gnatster,

i have a few follow up questions:

does peroxide have any adverse effects on other things in the tank (e.g., plants or fish or inverts)? can i "dose" some into the tank as a whole and let the peroxide do its work rather than concentrating squirts using a syringe? the reason i ask is because it's practically all over the tank on all the walls, so concentrating it may not be as feasible. let me know your tho'ts.

rich

1 - 3 of 3 Posts