Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over at ADG today and got to talk with Mike, he has a new layout in his office which I will not show due to him wanting to enter it in for contests. But I have a side shot that will blow your mind. Remeber that this is the side shot of a 75gallon tank. (These pics are with his permission)

When I asked him about how much AS he used, he responded "I lost cout of how many bags"

The second pic shows a ruler, and although it does not show up well in the pic (used phone) it read 5" to the top of tank.

One the tank has matured and he has submitted it he has promised to do a jornal of the tank.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sure, piling up all the AS ADG has lying around was probably the easiest thing to do but he could just as well have covered up some kind of filler shape. Seems like a waste to me.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No talk on anarobic conditions, but you have to remember that Amano will often create deep soil sections with soil.
Filler materials are a good idea, but I like the effect of using the soil. The soil under the rocks will compact and allow the rocks to settle better. Also you get the benefits of the AS like lowering the ph which inert fillers would not do. ( and yes with our hard Houston water we need all of the help we can get lowering the ph). But yes having a ready avalible supply was probably the main deciding factor ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Actually, you would be surprised. Before this particular scape, this tank had 6-7 scapes redone with the same substrate.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have seen this and think it's awesome!

Some people need to see to believe and I am one of those! This old substrate has grown way too many outstanding scapes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts