Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my second day of fiddling with pics of my tank. I have a crappy Canon Powershot A60 (going for $130US on ebay right now), IT'S ONLY 2MP. I am really new at this, but with the help of niko he's showed me that with a few tricks you can really take some nice pics with a terrible camera (zoom doesn't even really work on mine lol).

Sorry about the algae, I think you can see it waving at you!

Jason.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
That was fun to do and I learned too - that a 2 Mpx camera is not bad at all.

Please look at the sharpness of those pictures, not necessarily the composition. I'd say that sharper images would be possible if the light was precisely controlled and directed. For an improvised photo shoot these 2 Mpx pictures are quite impressive.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Yes!!!!

turtlehead said:
the settings on the camera are more important than anything else, I can take good pictures with a sony 2.0mp and have them turn up great with out using adobe.
Yes!!!! it doesn't really matter about the mega pixels. I usually reconmend photographers buying manual settings camera. The pictures you took look great, although lenses are important too.

·
Registered
811 Posts
It would take something around 8MP to look significantly improved from 2MP. It takes a doubling of linear resolution, or a quadrupling of the total pixels (MP), to make a significant difference, and only then if you're printing above 11 x 14."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
yes the camra is really not the most important thing about photography but the skills and the light. I still have my old Canon A200 (2Mio. pxl), a simple camera with a terrible digital zoom (my one does not even work anymore but I almost never needed it before), no optical zoom and a flash which needs 20(!) seconds to reload. Here are some picture I took with my A200:

But the camera is easy to use and I'm used to it, so I still use it.

best regards

Robert

·
Banned
50 Posts
For most web applications, 2MP is just fine, you can even get a decent 4X6 print from them, a zoom isn't all that useful in aquarium photography, close focusing and macro are and the A60 is really a great little camera for aquarium photos, the autofocus isn't ideal but that's about the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Any suggestions for a cheap camera with an adjustable shutter speed and all the other basic goodies? I can take pictures of plants like a champ, but when it comes to fish, all i get are blurs.
Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wish i could. :( It has some really lame Exposure Compensation feature that doesn't help much.

·
Banned
50 Posts
It has a fixed shutter speed butnut a variable aperture? What kind is it?

Does it have an "action" mode?

For fish I use a slave flash and 1/125, my main problem is auto focus being slower than the fish, but I overcome that by setting the manual focus on one point and pray the fish swims past it :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Its a Fujifilm finepix 2800zoom. It doesn't necessarily have a "fixed" shutter speed, but I cannot really adjust it like the non-digital SLR's I've used previously. It has a feature that compensates for dark/light backgrounds that affects aperture/shutter speed (been a while since I've taken photo classes so I could be completely wrong). It's not as simple as selecting a "sport" or "action" setting or anything like that. Basically, it doesn't give me the control/flexibility I would like. I'm not sure if most "cheaper" digital cameras have adjustable shutter speeds.

I am looking for CHEAP :D cameras that have this feature as well as stuff like Macro, and the basics.

·
Registered
228 Posts
the canon a75 is one of the best bang for the buck cameras out there. You get a ton of manual settings (aperture, shutter, ISO, macro, multifocus etc. etc.) as well as a ton of auto settings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fantastic! Thanks Bavarian3, that's exactly what i'm looking for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
here is another example of what is possible even with such an old camera like the Canon PowerShot A200:

So it really depends more on your skills than on the camera.

regards

Robert

1 - 16 of 16 Posts