Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
well we were....

wading the local waterways today looking for driftwood. Does that count? It's WAY to cold here still to do that. we also found something that makes me think twice (maybe 3x) before ever getting back in anyhting but a pool. While clinbing over rocks and trees at the dam today I saw a fish that I have not seen before.....At least up close and personal. It was dead but man that was one UGLY fish. I'm talking whole ugly forest here. Turns out it was a long nose gar. It was probably about 2 1/2 feet long and had teeth that looked like little razors. They definitely would not feel good on any part of your body. We did find 2 huge stumps that we managed to drag out and a few smaller pieces that once cleaned up will look nice I think. Unfortunately I forgot to take the camera ( yeah like I would show anyone pictures of the way we looked today). Between the 2 of us we did our share of tumbling down the banks. :oops: A few of the locals were giving us rather odd looks. I can't imagine why though.....Isn't it perfectly normal to see two women in hip waders dragging tree stumps from the river? 8)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Haha!! Magnus and I did the same thing today in southern california. People were seriously giving us odd looks when we were carrying bundled drifwood in our arms on some high class neighborhood. We just laughed it off.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Great job Ginnie5 and Litesky,
I know when I do find that perfect piece of wood for my tank I will be making myself look like a fool too! I do that anyway when I walk along the road in the ditches and not by the side of the road.

After one such jaunt, I got back to my car and a sheriff and county game warden were waiting for me. They were polite while they were trying to figure out if I was the culprit they were looking for. I thought I finally had it figured out when they mentioned alligators. I told them that I was always looking for them on the banks of the stream and they shouldn't worry about my welfare. They laughed and said they were more concerned not about me but for the welfare of the alligators, since there were poachers in the area. Then we all had a good laugh, and I showed them some mollies I had found.
Steve Pituch

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You'll see more pictures like that come warm weather here. I'm taking a 10 day intensive Field Botany course, and of course, I'm going to be testing each ditch I come across. Native plant paradise here I come!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds interesting....

you'll be sure to share some of your finds won't you?? Or at least give some of us some tips on where to look for the good stuff??

Ginnie,
who is moving very slowly today!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
There has got to be some decent places to collect plants down here somewhere Steve! We just have to find it......

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Top this guys.......

In search of the American Crypts

Paul Krombholz doing water tests at the source of the San Marcos before embarking on expedition. Photo by Steve Pituch.

Steve Pituch showing Paul a few American Crypts. Photo by Paul Krombholz.

Regards,
Paul K.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The photos were taken Wednesday, March 10. Steve Pituch and I canoed the San Marcos river and found the plants shown, along with a lot of other plants. Details will be in a forthcoming article in The Aquatic Gardener.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The San Marcos River arises from an underground spring in the town of San Marcos, which is northeast of San Antonio, Texas. It flows SSE and joins the Guadalupe River

1 - 20 of 27 Posts