Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive sent some pics before and updates almost every week so i think thats how i like it with the plants fully grown.i was wondering if i can enter a contest with a tank so small or in that condition.and thanks everyone here for the help and advices.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
It depends on what your goal is in the competition. Do you want to win? Do you just want commentary from the judging panel? Do you just want the experience.

To be honest with you, with the rising level of aquascaping in contests across the board, I don't think your tank will even place in its present condition. It needs more time to grow in and look more mature to say the least. Some of those plants still look like they've been recently planted. Give your tank some more time. Remember, there is a small tank category in the AGA contest in September. I'll be in there, too. See you there!

Carlos

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
With a little time and some careful maintenance there's a decent chance that tank will do well. Like Carlos said, aquascaping is increasing by leaps and bounds across the board, but one never knows how things will do. The last AGA I entered the tank I thought would do best didn't even place and the one I didn't expect to do well (and almost didn't enter) ended up placing. It's often times worth entering for the commentary alone.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
58 Posts
Entering aquatic gardening contest

I think entering your tank would great idea. I believe it's a valuable learning experience. It's a chance for you and others to learn from comments made by some of the leading authorities. It's not so much winning, but the sense of achieving your goals.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I think that you have a very nice little tank... Although if entered in a contest it may not win still the experience you will get from doing so is priceless. Besides the comments that you get from the judges will help to give your next entry a better chance at being a winner. I don't think you can go wrong by entering.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'd have to agree with what the following members have said. It doesn't hurt to try, but you will gain something if you do. And if you don't win, that's okay it's your first(I think). You will gain much more experience from the judge and how you could work on your tank to being better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks.im not looking to win.if you win a contest just in your first entry then you loose your interest in doing something better.im looking just for the comments.ill just give it a try to see.i know there gonna be many beautiful setups in the contests but if you dont try you ll never know how far you can go.

·
Registered
119 Posts
antreasgr said:
if you win a contest just in your first entry then you loose your interest in doing something better
LOL, that's not true, is it?
What is this "experience" you guys speak of? Aside from the comments and the prizes (if you win), I really can't see anything else to gain.
To use Carlos' comments as an example, one can usually tell if a tank would place or not (given a few exceptions). Also, I assume people often start new scapes after a contest/photo-shoot. As a result, the comments don't really help, since they're usually directed at the submitted scape.
antreasgr, I apologize for using your thread to ask a personal question. I think your tank is nice.
PS: I'm not trying to discourage anyone from entering. I wrote this strictly out of curiousity, and I whole heartedly support contests.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks magnus.well i agree for the experience you wont win anything exept prizes.for me if my tank will enter the contest ill just feel like i did something nice but nothing more.i read some comments from previous entries and they were like one line so its clear that you wont get something.but as i said i think its about yourself.to see in wich level you are now.(or other people think you are).but one think i dont like is that this contest is meant for experienced aquascapers.i mean everybody has to get a shot and hear comments about their aquascape and how to improve it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here's a breakdown on how to make a winning tank

aquascaping skill and knowledge - 30%
photography skill and knowledge - 20%
photoshop skill and knowledge - 10%
tank maintenance skill and knowledge - 10%
luck - 30%

(just for laughs)

Cheers
Vincent