Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
well personally i'm not sure... i love the peices you have but it does seem very umm unnatural lol like the way the substrate is all lined up maybe muss it up a bit and can you move the peice on the left a little bit like maybe situate it differently it just looks... odd...

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Thanks Tex Gal. Now you can see why I will miss that Crypto. crispatulae...
Not to dispair! I'll have more later. They just keep sending out runners. I have a madagascar lace plant in my tank now. Once it gets way to big for me I'll have to shoot you a pm. Your tank would be perfect.... :D That's what I have to do. Use them until they are too big and then trade them out for a smaller one! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Yep, 2nd one is much better. I'd move the smaller piece of wood further over into the corner of the tank up against the glass. It looks a bit too close to the other one.

Possibly even rotate the wood so that the horns are lying along the gravel. I've found when using wood it is best if the pointy parts go downwards or alongside the gravel rather than point up. It makes them look more like roots that have grown into the substrate rather than a spiky mass.

What plants are you going to put in there? I bet this tank would look great with anubias nana petite all over the wood!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, 2nd one is much better. I'd move the smaller piece of wood further over into the corner of the tank up against the glass. It looks a bit too close to the other one.

Possibly even rotate the wood so that the horns are lying along the gravel. I've found when using wood it is best if the pointy parts go downwards or alongside the gravel rather than point up. It makes them look more like roots that have grown into the substrate rather than a spiky mass.

What plants are you going to put in there? I bet this tank would look great with anubias nana petite all over the wood!
Yeah, I have a bunch of Anubias nana petite waiting already sometime to be attached to something. I would like to have some Fissidens fontanus and Susswassertang along and I'm watching for any dwarf Needlepoint Java fern showing up for sale. The rest is still very much up in the air, and I'm planing a trip to Tampa to Aqua Plant Depot to buy some plants there.
I expect that after some time i will come a moment to pull something out and plant what cannot be had at this moment - I suppose we all get through that...;)

Here is another, a little bit corrected arrangement:

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Heres my critical view..

that is @#$# SWEET!

Really really good! A few small 1-3 in rocks in the triangle shape away from your focal point would be awesome two when the plants started to grow.

and are you going to go with any sand? that would look killer in your tank!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
The wood pieces look much better that initially. They kind of remind me of dinosaur fossils or sumthin... The only thing that gets me is that your front wall is too (can't think of the word, it's on the tip of my tongue) AH YES... SYMMETRICAL!!! You should either taper one of the sides or shorten one end to shift the center of the lower area to one side. Right now it just looks like two tanks kinda slid together IMO. I look forward to seeing the progress!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Might be going out on a limb here, I'm very inexperienced, but i'd like to see both the wood pieces on one side of the tank where they'd be backed by tall stem plants and garnished with anubias or crypts and the other side having only grass and other carpet plants?

like having a deep end and a shallow end

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
To me, three or five pieces would seem much more natural and less "forced". The visual battle between the two very strong pieces needs something to balance it out. These are fabulous pieces though and they'll bring a lot of character to the setup.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He,he, Bryce, it was the opinion of a few other, distinguished, members of this Forum, who forced me to move the left pieces some more to the center, and then some more again...

So what do you expect me to do now? Start a rebellion?! What about my Wife, who, by some miracle agreed to spend her whole inheritance on purchasing plants now?!

Besides, there are 3 pieces to begin with, but 2 of them somehow forced themselves on each other...

Thanks!

To me, three or five pieces would seem much more natural and less "forced". The visual battle between the two very strong pieces needs something to balance it out. These are fabulous pieces though and they'll bring a lot of character to the setup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts