Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, I just newly registered to APC after my endless search of DIY ADA style stands for my new but used ADA 60F. I've been searching the web and gathering info and tips on building my own replica. But your thread just grabbed me from the get, like the first episode of The Walking Dead! I'm new to these forums as I also just joined the SCAPE forum, being that I'm a Southern California native. Anyways I would like to purchase a Blackheart Sassafras version for my 60F. Although I will still try and build my own. I am no carpenter but, I don't limit myself.

Question, what are PMs? As I've seen in several threads including yours.

Please let me know how I can purchase one of your pieces. I call them pieces because I truly find them to be a work of art!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Oh and looking at your photos, how do you attach the front face above the cabinet door?
I can think of 3 methods that would all work.

1 Biscuit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_joiner

2 dowl pins or wedge pins ( often seen in stuff simlar to what you get in IKEA, imo the worst option)

3 pocket screws ( kreg tool, just a name brand) http://www.kregtool.com/Pocket-Hole-Jigs-Prodlist.html

IMO 1 or 3 would be fine. I would tipically ise pocket screws becuase they are much faster then other options.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I think they even make a knock off pocket tool kit for around $12. i have never tried the knock offs. I know the mini works in a pinch, but its not exactly fast, kreg tools really are one of those tools you buy and use every where after you have them. I use them almost daily.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Hi, I just newly registered to APC after my endless search of DIY ADA style stands for my new but used ADA 60F. I've been searching the web and gathering info and tips on building my own replica. But your thread just grabbed me from the get, like the first episode of The Walking Dead! I'm new to these forums as I also just joined the SCAPE forum, being that I'm a Southern California native. Anyways I would like to purchase a Blackheart Sassafras version for my 60F. Although I will still try and build my own. I am no carpenter but, I don't limit myself.

Question, what are PMs? As I've seen in several threads including yours.

Please let me know how I can purchase one of your pieces. I call them pieces because I truly find them to be a work of art!
I'm pretty certain the guy who made these stands is in Australia. Maybe he has some nice tips on how to build one though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm pretty certain the guy who made these stands is in Australia. Maybe he has some nice tips on how to build one though.
I understand, I've had things shipped to me from Poland and Italy. So anything is possible, right? Thank you for your input though. Besides the Blackheart Sassafras stand is just awesome don't you think, would'nt you want one? But I still will go to Home Depot or Lowes and try to find some wood that would be nice for my build. Possibly I'll try birch, not too expensive. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I love birch, if you are in an decent sized town, chances are good you will have a hard wood dealer.( or several) generally their prices kick the boxs store behind. Not to mention alot of selection. they sell stuf by the board foot ( 1 sqft of board 1" thick) some will also have a killer selection of sheet goods. They also can have lots of hardware and edge banding if you need it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have built numerous stand. I personally prefer working with oak as the lowest cost wood. The wood selection though is a matter of personal taste, and budget. Yes you can get the black Heart wood special order as well as many other exotics. But they are not inexpensive by any means. The other thing is need to watch hardness of the wood as some exotic woods are not hard and others are so hard they become difficult to work with. If the wood is too soft you need to use more wood for support with heavier tanks.

MDF was mentions and I would never use it for an aquarium stand. Yes some commercial stands use it be bring price down but these stands are usually short lived compared to a hard wood stand. Long tern exposure to water and moisture will cause MDF to weaken and swell.

Another pointer is under moisture all wood will want to warp. To reduce or eliminate this on aquarium stands I usually apply at least two coats of polyurethane prior to final assembly. Then after assembly Ill do additional coats.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Any cabinet shop could do it. Its just a matter if they are willing. Liabilty/ not enough money are the 2 main reasons. Having built literally hundreds of custom stands, they can be a few hundred too many thousands. Most major citys in the us have several shops in one part of town, stop by and talk to them. I am sure you will find some one.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I never said it would be cheap, 2k is not as crazy as you might think for something custom.
all really depends on what exactly you are having built.
even just a plywood box with flat doors can easily take 15 to 20 hours to build. Shop rates started about a hundred dollars an hour and can go up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Absolutely beautiful, but Blackheart Sasafrass is expensive unless you live in Australia. Aside from that I could not think of a nicer stand for a nature aquarium. Bamboo works to, it is strong as steel and water and mold resistant.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Absolutely beautiful, but Blackheart Sasafrass is expensive unless you live in Australia. Aside from that I could not think of a nicer stand for a nature aquarium. Bamboo works to, it is strong as steel and water and mold resistant.
There are actually hundreds of different woods between the standards and the exotics. Each of these woods will create a different look and can cause a completely different price in both raw material cost as will as manufacturing cost.

Years ago I did a small project using bloodwood which was extremely beautiful. However the cost of having to repeatedly resharpen the tooling because of the hardness of this wood was more expensive than the wood itself, that was not cheap to begin with.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Found one. Wanted $2000 for a 48" with walnut veneer. Seemed too high for that. :-(
AquaBarren,
I am new to this site as well, as I have just joined recently. I live in MT and have been doing woodwork for years and made several cabinets/stands. If you are still interested in a custom ADA style stand, PM me or post here and I will look into seeing if I can help you. Size, species height. Will post a pic of my current stand soon as i just moved and got it re-setup.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts